Section 75 charge backs- update

Eagle eye
    Further research has revealed that despite your credit card provider being legally responsible for refunding your Section 75 claim Martin Lewis of Moneysavingexpert fame has advised that some providers ARE NOT refunding claims until they receive the money from the retailer.

This is as bad as the travel companies themselves who are dragging their feet and ignoring their legal liabilities and why Tesco are taking months to process claims as they are obviously adopting this ploy to save themselves paying out personally, (despite the obvious profits they are making, including charging interest on customer credit card accounts that cannot be paid in full due to Tesco’s own delay). TESCO ARE A THIRD PARTY PROVIDER, which is why they are doing this. If you use a credit card provider that is an actual bank, you will not get this problem (i.e. actual banks only deal in, and have direct access to money).

Do not let Tesco get away with this as they are NO BETTER than the companies you are claiming against. Make an official complaint to Tesco after NO MORE THAN six weeks delay and then follow up with the Financial Ombudsman. Tesco need to be brought to account and this requires us, their disgruntled customers, taking a firm line. Credit card providers are legally responsible for any spending that you make on your card, hence the Section 75 regulation. It completely defeats the object if a credit card provider does not meet that obligation for months and gives out NO valid information and NO updates. TESCO: IT IS ABOUT TIME THAT YOU GOT OUT OF THE BANKING BUSINESS AND WENT BACK TO PURELY SELLING GROCERIES.
  • 7 Replies

Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm sorry you feel this way, please send us a private message to for us to try to resolve your issue.
    Eagle eye
    Amanda B: Utterly pointless sending a private message as advised in my other posts (i.e. Done already many times and changes nothing).
    Eagle eye
    Had an email from Tesco stating that my charge back was in the final stage and that my refund in excess of £3000 would be in my account within 7 days. That was THREE WEEKS AGO! (My claim is already into 13 weeks/3 months). As is the normal standard of Tesco (as these forums show) this was yet again BLATANTLY UNTRUE. Yet another delaying tactic simply to meet Tesco’s own agenda. THREE WEEKS LATER I am still waiting and do not expect to receive my refund anytime soon. Tesco are blatantly ignoring their customers, ignoring ethical practises and regularly giving false assurances to avoid meeting their obligations. They are using customer goodwill and lack of customer knowledge of how long a customer really should wait before they take action and lodge an official complaint, to get away with this.For clarity, if you have not had your claim resolved after EIGHT WEEKS you can then make a complaint directly to the Financial Ombudsman without the requirement of a ‘Deadlock Letter’. You do not have to correspond again with Tesco from that point. You should also complain to the CMA, both processes are online and VERY simple, they will not take more than 5 minutes each.Tesco are clearly behaving no better than the ‘cowboys’ that we are all trying to retrieve our money from, do not let them carry on like this. Finally, the bottom line: Just to remind all of the poor unfortunates with a Tesco credit card; This card is pretty worthless if you have a purchase problem that takes months & months & months & months to resolve via your Section 75 protection. GET YOURSELVES AN ALTERNATIVE, PROPER, CREDIT CARD FROM A SOURCE THAT IS ACTUALLY A BANK AND NOT A THIRD PARTY PROVIDER.
    I am here to find out how to initiate a Section 75 Chargeback from Opodo for car hire not provided and which they are refusing to refund. I am concerned by your post. Is there anyone from Tesco here who can tell me how to get a charge back please. Any advice from users? thanks
    Community superstar
    Hi
    I'm really sorry to hear about your car hire and the difficulties you've been experiencing. I will certainly help you to get it resolved.
    You can find information about the steps to take here: https://community.tescobank.com/t5/D...edtransactions
    You can send Tesco Bank a 'Private Message' for someone to check this out too.
    Click on this link and it will take you to a page, 'About Tesco Bank'.
    In the top right of the page click onto 'Send a Message'.
    A new page will open up, 'Create New Message'.
    Complete it and send your message securely.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode.
    Chargebacks are taking longer than usual, however this is due to the unprecedented volume of claims due to the Coronavirus.
    Do complete the 'goods not received' form on the link and forward it to the disputes team.
    Warm wishes, Caz
    Eagle eye
    Based on my experience (and that of several others on this forum) trying to retrieve your money back via Section 75 with Tesco WILL take you months and months despite any good intentioned advice from the so called experts on this forum who have absolutely NO influence on Tesco policies and Tesco bad service regarding Section 75 claims. You would be far better to do the following:1) Send a recorded, signed for notification to the retailer stating that if you do not receive a refund within 14 days you will instigate a claim against them via the small claims court.2) If you do not receive a refund within 14 days immediately instigate the action via the Small Claims Court via their online website.I have used this process a few times in the past, it is very simple and always successful when you are in the right (which you clearly are).The retailer will be liable for all costs of taking this action and they know it. Consequently, should you need to start the action you will almost certainly be reimbursed by the retailer extremely promptly prior to the case being viewed by a magistrate, to avoid causing themselves even further costs.In all the times that I have used the SCC, I have had my refund and costs back within 1 week of submitting my claim. This has included small and large companies such as sole traders and Dixon’s.This action will be far, far less stressful than dealing with Tesco for months and listening to their false assurances and lies.And it goes without saying; CHANGE YOUR CREDIT CARD PROVIDER FOR A PROPER BANK (Tesco are a third party provider).
    Eagle eye
    I should have added that charge backs SHOULD NOT be taking much longer than normal, Tesco have had four months to address this issue but have chosen not to.Last week on the BBC NEWS there was a forum about charge backs and proper banks are currently only taking up to SEVEN DAYS (not months and months). AMEX are only taking THREE DAYS. Consequently, DO NOT ACCEPT TESCO TREATING THEIR CUSTOMERS WITH SUCH CONTEMPT AND BLAMING COVID. (They might just as well blame Brexit just like other cowboy firms did before Covid).