Re: Why do I have a different type of contactless debit card?

Hello,
    This card type applied to me when I opened my account a few weeks ago.
    Although the card functions like any other debit card it's not possible to use this at pay-at-pump terminals as mentioned above.
    Are there any way of upgrading the type of debit card a customer receives so in the future I could ask for a debit card that would work at pay-at-pump?
    Regards,
    SHAUN
  • 3 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer

Hi,  Just to expand on what was previously posted

The type of card offered is dependent on personal circumstances. You would need to speak to our Current Account customer service team to check what type of card was offered when you applied alternatively you can check this in your welcome pack. If it was the “online authorisation card” then you would not be able to use this at the pay at the pump terminals. This is because the pay at the pump doesn’t attempt to check the balance of your account before processing the payment therefore the card will automatically decline. We do regularly review accounts, and if we are able to change the type of card that you have we will write to you and let you know.
    Hi shaun it seems that no visa contactless cards work at pay at pump but I'm not 100%sure with that
    Supervisor
    Hello Shaun, It sounds like your Visa Debit card is for "online authorisation" payments only. Because Pay at the Pump systems are unable to check your bank account (at the time of transaction) this leads to the card being declined (even though you have sufficient funds). I'd be surprised *if* this is the case in relation to your Visa Debit card as contactless cards are typically "offline authorisation."