Re: Can I still earn my Clubcard points when using Apple Pay?

With the physical Tesco Mastercard, the person at the til usually says "do you have a Clubcard?" I tell them it is on "here". They press some button or something, then ask if I will be paying with the card too. I say yes, then the credit card machine prompts me for my pin. With my Tesco Mastercard now on Apple Pay, am I going to have to physically pull out my card or other physcial item (like key fob) containing my Clubcard details? Walk me through the process more precisely please. Remember, the less I am carrying and faster my payment transaction the better.
  • 7 Replies

Employee
    Hi ,

In order to get your Clubcard points in full when paying with Apple Pay you will also need to scan or swipe your physical Clubcard.

So for this process you will need to present your Clubcard first, then make your payment via your phone or watch. It can take up to 3 working days for the points to appear on your Clubcard statement online.

As for the Clubcard I've mentioned, you can use your actual credit card to get the points or a Clubcard/keyfob, whichever you prefer. To make sure the card you're swiping banks your points together you can call our Clubcard department to link them on 0800 591 688 or 0330 123 1688 by mobile. They are available Mon - Fri 9am to 8pm and Saturdays from 9am to 6pm.

Hope this helps.
    Supervisor
    This is why I hope Tesco will eventually integrate the Clubcard into the Passbook/Wallet app as iOS 9 now supports store loyalty cards. I'm guessing if we used Apple Pay with somewhere that isn't part of the Clubcard scheme that we'd still get the 1 point per £8 spend?
    Employee
    That's correct, if you use your credit card on Apple Pay outwith Tesco stores, you will still get your 1 point per £8 spent.
    Are there any plans to change the way your Clubcard points are added when using Apple Pay to the same way it works when using your Tesco Credit Card, in that when you use your Tesco Credit Card, it automatically adds your Clubcard points to the transaction? I don't have a separate Clubcard as there's been no need for it up to now with use of my Tesco Credit Card, I really like using Apple Pay and it kinda defeats the object me getting a separate additional card to use in conjunction with Apple Pay to get my points, so for now I can't use Apple Pay, and I'd really like too :)
    Employee

Hi  sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We wanted to get Apple Pay out as we saw the demand for digital payments. To do this, we had to launch it with slightly lower capability. We are looking at ways to make this better. In the meantime you can use your credit card as a Clubcard and then pay with Apple Pay so you get your points. We know it’s not ideal, and as soon as we can improve it we’ll let everyone know.

Thanks Margaret. For know I'll just have to stick to using my credit card only, trying to use Apple Pay just slows the process down, if I have to get my card out, then I may as well simply just use my card. Hopefully it'll get changed soon.
    Supervisor
    Hello Margaret, I look forward to Tesco being able to implement the Clubcard reward scheme into Apple's Wallet app (a feature new to iOS 9). Whilst Apple Pay is being slowly rolled out into your stores it'd be great if you could "lead the way" in digital payment innovation.