Late payment of card

I've not been able to get online other than on my mobile phone this last couple of weeks thanks to Windows 10 messing up my laptop and so I put off paying my credit card bill ( I thought I still had a week or two to pay). Tonight when I logged on to pay it I discovered I'd already missed my payment date and been charged a late fee, which is fair enough since it's my own fault. I know when I missed a payment once a few years ago with another bank I was charged a late fee, but also lost my interest free offer because of it. Does anyone know if this is the case with Tesco bank? It's the first time I've ever missed a payment (by two days) so I'm going to be a bit gutted if my interest free period has been affected. Cheers for your help.
  • 17 Replies

Employee
    Hi bobalina_50

Welcome to our Community and thanks for your post.

Your interest free period will not be affected by missing your payment by a few days.

If you need to speak with the team they are available 24/7 on 0345 300 4278.

Thanks

Kate - Customer Care
    Hello, i have the same question as above and just looking for clarification. I made a payment on the 23rd of October ahead of my minimum payment date of the 12th of November and yet I have been charged a late payment fee? Does that mean that my mimnimum payment windows aren't the 12th of the month to the 12th of the next? I have subsequently paid in a sum significantly higher than the minimum payment today but wasn't expecting this. What I am more looking for is assurances that I won't lose my 0% on purchases as a result of this? Many thanks.
    Employee
    Hi  and welcome to the Tesco Community!

Having one late payment on your account won't have an impact on your interest free period on purchases, so you have nothing to worry about on that front.

In terms of the late payment itself, it sounds like the payment may have been made before the statement was produced, which can result in no payment being made during your payment period. Your payment period begins after the statement is produced and lasts for 20 days, and that's when a minimum payment would be required if the card has an outstanding balance.

If you have any other questions about when to make the payments, or wish to discuss the charge itself, please call our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278, and they're available 24/7 to help with the account.

Hope that helps, thanks.
    Hi, I am also looking for help on a similar question. I set up a direct debit to pay off my credit card. The date displayed for the next payment was (and still is) 26th December 2015. This hasn't been collected, and yet I was charged a late payment fee on the 28th December, I don't see why I should have to pay this when it was because the direct debit wasn't collected. This might be due to it being a bank holilday but it still hasn't been collected over a week later...... Thanks Sarah
    I've just had a similar experience. I paid my December payment on the 20th of December & it's showing in my payments but it still saying I need to pay by the 4 th of January. Therefore my card was declined when I tried to use it.
    I made my December payment on the 20th( I had until 4 th of January to do this) & it's been processed, tried to use card today & it was declined. Checked online account & even though the payment is on there & it's gone from my paying bank account it still says I need to make a payment by the 4 th of January.Any ideas what's happened?
    Employee
    HI @beans and @Stevieg

There are a few reasons why the direct debit might not have taken your payment this month. Sometimes they can be slightly delayed by Bank Holidays, but then it would usually take the next working day, so it doesn't sound like it would be that.

If the direct debit was set up after the statement had been produced for the month, it won't collect for that forthcoming payment and a message would be displayed online to make a manual payment.

As for the payment you made on the 20th Stevie, I'm not quite sure why this has happened and it's something we'd need to check the account to find out.

In both cases, to discuss the late payment fee and what's happening with the direct debit and to find out about the payment issues, I'd advise to call our Credit Card department on 0345 300 4278, available 24/7, and we can get all this sorted for both of you.

Hi everyone! I also have the same issue with my December payment. I have paid more than minimum paymwent on 2nd December since my payment was due to 25th December. I have got a letter with a late payment charge and notification to pay by 4th January. There is no direct debit on my credit card payment and I do this every month manually. Is there any explanation why I have been charged for the late payment?Tried to call to customer service all day long to 0345 300 4278 but no sucess. There is no option in the menu if I would like to speak with customer service team or late payment issues. It was not possible to dial after 3.50 pm today. The line could not be connected. I would appreciate for an advice and another phone number to let me clarify the situation with customer service.Thank you. Ella
    Employee
    Hi ,

I'm sorry you've had a problem with your December payment and contacting us. In terms of the payment, from the dates you've said, it sounds like the payment might've been made before your statement was produced. If a payment is made before the statement is produced, it counts as an additional payment, and the statement would still need at least the minimum to be paid to avoid any fees.

If your statement was produced after the 2nd of December, it will show the payment and it'll say that a minimum payment is due. This is something you'd be able to discuss with our customer service department, on the number listed above.

When you call us, select option 2, enter your card details and security information and it'll take you through to the next menu. If none of the options are suitable, it will take you through to an advisor after giving the options twice.

I hope this helps.