Insecure website connection?

I don't normally use the website as the mobile app fulfills most of my needs. However, in the last few weeks, my Chromebook has started to warn me about the connection not being secured. This happens when I navigate manually to www.tescobank.com and click on login. The "view site information" logo next to the URL changes to a red open padlock icon, with HTTPS stricken through. Clicking on view site information shows the following two messages. "The identity of this website has not been verified.Server's certificate is not trusted." And "Your connection to www.tescobank.com is encrypted using an obsolete cipher suite. The connection uses TLS 1.2. The connection is encrypted using AES_256_CBC, with HMAC_SHA1 for message authentication and ECDHE_RSA as the key exchange mechanism."
  • 4 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems accessing our website @powertwo. As you're using a Beta version of Firefox this may not be fully compatible with our website. Running additional security software may also generate the error message you've mentioned. Can you possibly try to log in on a different browser? Please let us know how you get on.
    Employee
    Hi 

I'm happy to hear the app fulfils most of your needs! However I am sorry to hear of the trouble you've had when accessing the website on your Chromebook. We are limited to the help we can offer on this device as it’s not currently supported. Is your operating system and browser up to date on the Chromebook? As if not, this may be generating the error message you've mentioned. Please let us know how you get on :-)
    My parents are experiencing this too on a late 2007 MacBook (OSX 10.6.8) using Google Chrome 47.x I believe this is because Tesco Bank changed and/or updated their root certificate issuer to "Entrust Root Certification Authority - G2" who sign their certificate on 22nd October 2015. Apple stopped providing updates for 10.6.8 (snow leopard) a year or so ago, and it looks like this certificate root is a recent one, so it isn't in their system roots and will never be as Apple won't provide updates. The only "workaround" I've been able to use is to move them to Firefox, as Firefox does not use the system keychain for certs. Do Tesco Bank recognise this? I'm wondering what % of their userbase is using 10.6.8.
    Hello Ihave the same problem now.I have just intalled windows 7 and latest Firefox 47.0b1 [img]/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/109i6BE70D56881EBCB3/image-size/medium?v=mpbl-1&px=-1[/img] I think i is time for tesco bank to solve that problem.