How to pay by cheque?

I want to make a one off payment by cheque but can't see how to do this. I have a DD set up & online statements so no giro slip to enclose. Can I get a giro slip/do I need one? What address should I post it too? What I do do you require? Thanks
  • 10 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    Hi ,

Are you looking to make a payment by cheque to a Tesco Bank credit card that you hold with us? If so all you have to do is:

• Complete the Bank Giro Credit Slip, you’ll find this printed on your latest Tesco Bank credit card statement

• Write out your cheque and make it payable to Tesco Credit Cards and ensure it’s not post-dated, if you can also write your Tesco Credit Card number on the payee line so that it’s attributed to your account

• Send both the cheque and Giro slip to: Tesco, PO Box 1533, Northampton, NN1 9HU

Please allow 5-7 days for your payment to reach us by post and be aware that it will take another 4 working days before the cheque funds are cleared in your account.

If you are enquiring about a loan then you would need to give our team a call to organise making an additional payment. The loans team can be reached on 0345 600 6016 and they're available Mon - Fri: 8am - 10pm and Sat - Sun: 9am - 5pm :-)

- Michelle
  • Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    If you have access to your statements online, you can print the giro slip straight from the website. If that's not possible though, you can send the cheque without the slip, making sure to include a covering letter with your name, and address on it and then following the other steps Michelle mentioned above.

I hope that helps, but if not, please get back to us and we'll see what else we can do.

Edit: Only original giro slips will be accepted - 03/10/2019
    Thanks Michelle. I don't receive paper statements so I don't have a giro slip. Can I download one? I have a dd set up so I believe my statements wouldn't include a giro slip anyway? This is true of my other credit card account. I wish to post a chq given to me for the purpose of making an extra payment to bring my balance down but it's proving harder than I thought.
    Community Manager
    Hi @NJH,

Lots of information given there which has answered your questions, would you be able to accept these solutions in case it can help another community member in the future please?

Sarah :)
    Can I make a one off payment by cheque at a bank or store?
    Former Community Manager
    Hi EddiAnd1, can I ask what product you're looking to make a payment for? If this is a Credit Card you can find the full instructions on how to complete this in the comments above.
    Frankly, the FAQ on paying in cheques is something you can spend forever searching for. Bizzarely, searching for "cheques" in the FAQ results in nothing. The rules for cheques have changed in the recent past but the forum still has old information. After reading through 2 pages of answers and requests for help from Tesco I thought I would put this to rest.
    • You CANNOT deposit cheques in Tesco stores
    • You CANNOT pay your cheque in via the Post Office
    • You CAN ONLY post in cheques
    Guidelines for ALL ACCOUNTS
    1. Take a photo of the cheque for your personal records in case there are any issues (optional)
    2. In a black or blue ink pen, clearly write your account number and sort code on the back of the cheque
    3. Put it in an envelope and seal it
    4. Write "If undelivered please return to [your address]" on the back (optional)
    5. Post the envelope without a stamp to:
      FREEPOST, Tesco Bank 4943
      or if you feel weird about how short the address is you can use the full address (both are okay to use):
      Freepost RTGU-ULZJ-XYTK, Tesco Bank, PO Box 4943, Lancing, BN11 9YL
    Extra information
    • Cheques posted to Freepost Tesco Bank 4943 will be treated as first class post. On average, this takes two to three business days to be delivered (ie treat it like 3-5 business days because it's Royal Mail)
    • Cheques should take 2 business days or less to clear with the promise that it will be available before midnight (ie treat it like 3 business days to clear)
    • If your cheque is not cashed within 8 business days call 0345 835 3353
    • Cheques are legally valid for 6 years but banks can reject cheques that are more than six months old at their discretion
    Seriously Tesco, if you want us to rely on a forum to get help because you are very relecutant to give out phone numbers then please post your answers in a way that it is helpful for everyone who is having the same problem. Please do not link to other webpages which do not really answer the question or are likely to be edited in the future essentially turning us all into detectives looking for clues when we need an question answered. Eg this post is not helpful without re-reading several times and putting our detective caps on:
    https://community.tescobank.com/t5/I...nt-in/ta-p/625

Former Community Manager
    Hi , thanks for your comments. I've passed them on as feedback.
    Could you please confirm that my message above is the correct method of sending a cheque to you for all accounts and apart from posting there are no other methods of cashing a cheque though Tesco.

The problem with this thread is that it leaves you unsure whether you are doing the right thing by posting a cheque to you. We should not feel uneasy about sending you money.

Are these addresses still used for posting cheques?:
    • Tesco, PO Box 1533, Northampton, NN1 9HU
    • Tesco Bank, PO Box 27032, Glasgow, G2 9FX
    • Tesco Bank, Loans PO Box 27014, Glasgow G2 9FE

Your solution in the "go to solution" link on the top says:

wrote:

Send both the cheque and Giro slip to: Tesco, PO Box 1533, Northampton, NN1 9HU

Is this method still in use? The title, the post by the OP and thread details say nothing about credit cards so why is the solution just for credit cards? Do we still need Giro slips to pay in cheques? I don't have a Giro slip, what do I do now? I have never owned a chequebook and I am new to banking, what is a Giro? You can see where I am going with this because as far as I am aware your own solution does not even use the correct address and still says you need a Giro slip even though a lot of people do not have Giro slips and have no idea where to find them on their online banking account. Sorry to rant but I truly believe that there are a lot of positive changes that can be made to your guidelines since they rely on this forum for missing or misunderstood details.