Hello and a question

Hello all, I've just opened an internet saver and have a question that I'm sure someone can answer. I opted to open with a deposit from another bank account, then I set up my linked account however, I'm unsure whether the opening deposit will automatically be taken from my linked account (which is what I want) or whether I need to do it manually using the Tesco account number and sort code given to me once my internet saver was confirmed as opened. Thanks in advance.
  • 5 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    Hi ,

Now that you're set up with online banking you can arrange for as much as you'd like to be transferred into the account. If you arrange the account to be creditted from our online banking site, the transfer could take up to 10 business days as we would need to initiate your direct debit mandate to pull the funds. However, if you transfer the funds from your other bank, it would come as a faster payment and so be with us within 24 hours - you would just need to transfer the funds to your savings account number and sort code.

What you won't be able to do until you've received your welcome pack and returned your signature letter is transfer money out of the savings account through your online banking, this would normally be available to do around 2 business days after we've received your signature letter.

Hope this helps!

Employee
    Hello  and welcome to the forum!

When applying for an internet saver account, it gives you a few options for initial funding, including direct debit and manual transfer. We do ask for the details of another bank account in your name to set up a mandate for transfers, but unless instructed we wouldn't take anything from the account.

It sounds like, from what you've said, that it may be set to wait for you to transfer the money in from your personal account, but if you want to be sure, it might be worth calling us on 0345 678 5678 between 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 5pm at the weekend. Hope that helps, but if you have any other questions about this or anything else, feel free to get back in touch. :-)

Thanks for that ScottW. I didn't see anywhere where it asked whether I wanted to transfer the money in I just took it as read that it would do so given that I had put the sum of £250.00 as my opening amount. I wish I'd just opened the account with £1 now via debit card, hey ho, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I've set up on line banking and it is recognising my 'linked account', would I be OK to make the transfer of a larger amount or should I await my welcome pack? I really don't want to phone an 0345 number as the cost is against my principles of saving as 0345 numbers aren't included in my phone package.
    Great, thanks. I've transferred a small amount over just to be sure. Once that's gone through, in 9 days according to the site, I'll ship the rest across.