Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
95442members
28820posts

Goods not fit for purpose

Highlighted
Little helper

Goods not fit for purpose

I purchased a garden shed 18 months ago and it has started to go mouldy on the inside.  I have tried to contact the company that I purchased this from but so far, after 4 weeks, they have acknowledged email but nothing more.  I got in touch with Consumer Advice who advised because I paid via credit card I could raise a dispute with yourselves.   Is this correct.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Safe hands

Re: Goods not fit for purpose

Hi @mazza65 

I'm really sorry to hear about this and I will certainly help you to get it resolved. 

You have tried to resolve the dispute with the retailer to no avail, Tesco Bank may be able to help.

You can download and complete the faulty or damaged goods form and email it to Tesco Bank at the disputes team.

When completing the form make sure that you have the following information available:

Your credit card number or your sort code and account number.

The date and merchant name on the transaction you want to dispute.

You'll need to provide a description of the goods and details of what is wrong.

You can find more information about the steps to take here: https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Disputed-transactions-and/tkb-p/disputedtransactions

Hope this helps.

Warm wishes, @25H 

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hi @mazza65
I’m afraid to say that once 6 months has elapsed, the onus is on you to prove that the shed was faulty/ not fit for purpose at the time of purchase. The retailer is under no obligation to offer a refund, but may offer a repair or replacement. Due to the length of time that has elapsed since your purchase, there is no real prospect of a chargeback claim under section 75.
Sorry 😐 about that, @CSKBrambles
Highlighted
Your Community Expert

Hi @Mazza, sorry to hear this! I'm afraid to raise a chargeback, it would need to be within 120 days of the purchase. However, if the item was over £100 and you still have proof of purchase, we can potentially raise a Section75 claim for you. I've attached a link below, please refer to that for some further information and there will also be a form included to complete. The Disputes team will then be in touch as soon as they can. Hope this helps.

https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Disputed-transactions-and/I-bought-something-but-it-is-faulty...

Highlighted
Little helper

thanks for your response - I am a little surprised as I spoke with Consumer Advice who said that because I had paid by credit card that I should contact yourselves and raise a dispute.  They were aware of the timeframe and no mention of the 6 months.  

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hi @mazza65 

You have tried to contact the company 4 weeks ago. Having received acknowledgement from them but nothing more. You could go back to the company to see if they will do anything for you.

As you state it is not fit for the purpose it was designed for.

If it was over £100 and you have the receipt then why not raise a Section 75 as ChristinaG from Tesco Bank has recommended as you have nothing to lose. Complete the form and the 'Disputes Team' will look at this for you.

Below are links to assist you.

https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Disputed-transactions-and/tkb-p/disputedtransactions

https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Disputed-transactions-and/I-bought-something-but-it-is-faulty...

Hope this helps, warm wishes, @25H 

Highlighted
Helping hand

Be aware that if you raise a Section 75 with Tesco you will have to wait MONTHS for a resolution as Tesco are continually citing COVID as an excuse (when this is NO EXCUSE).

You would probably be better giving the company 14 days notice of taking action through the Small Claims Court and then following it through if they ignore you.

I have used this process a few times, it is done online and is extremely easy, you would be surprised how quickly retailers refund you when they receive notification from the court (which includes paying all of your costs).

As posted above, cite ‘unfit for purpose’. Any kind of guarantees with a product are meaningless if the product is deemed unfit even after a year (such as a shed that is designed to last for much longer than that).