Did you mean: 
95592members
28884posts

Fixed amount direct debit

Highlighted
Little helper

Fixed amount direct debit

Hi, 

I might be missing the answer to this in the help sections but hoping someone can answer this. 

We've got a credit card account that's currently set up to pay a fixed amount by direct debit each month.  This month the balance on the statement is less than this fixed amount, yet on the statement it says they will take fixed amount of X (the usual, higher fixed amount). 

What I'd like to know is if they will take the fixed amount, even though it's higher than the balance of the card or whether they'll just take the full balance? 

Thank you! 

Jane 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Little helper

Re: Fixed amount direct debit

Just thought I'd update this, on the off chance that anyone else has the same question (husband has now spoken to them) but they would have still taken out the fixed amount, even though it's higher than the balance of the card. 

Highlighted
Employee

I think you may have been given incorrect advice.

I also pay a fixed amount and each month, it appears to only take the outstanding balance if it is lower.

They have not taken me into credit, even though my Direct Debit is set up to take a fixed payment.

........................................................................................................

The views expressed in this post are mine and not those of Tesco Bank
Highlighted
Employee

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your post.

You're right, when a fixed amount direct debit is in place and the balance on the statement that is due for payment is less than that amount,  then only the amount outstanding would be collected.

Thanks

Margaret - Customer Care

Highlighted
Here to help

Highlighted
Little helper

Thanks for your replies. Both the statement and the person on the customer helpline said that the full fixed payment would be taken, despite balance being £300 less. So they've done something with the DD to change it to balance amount but unsure whether it's going to work this month so keeping an eye on it. Had issues in the past with being told to make a manual payment and then Tesco attempting to take DD anyway (3 times in one month) so not making manual payment until I know DD hasn't gone.