Credit card increase denied online but phone this number?

Hi I applied for a credit card increase using my online account but was denied as i had reached the maximum i could apply for online but to call this number for an increase.Is this their way of saying i have reached my credit limit for the time being?I telephoned the Credit Card Customer Service number as i assumed this was the number the message suggested i ring, but the very nice lady i spoke to said she couldn't access the reason why the increase was denied but to try again some time later.Helpful as this was, what was the point of the message saying to call this number for a credit increase, when the person on the other end has no authority to do so?So once again, is this just their way of saying NO to a credit limit increase? I couldn't check the number on the message as i would have had to apply for an increase again to get the number. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks from a newby.
  • 3 Replies

Updated to add: Yes it is the main Credit Card Customer Services telephone number that they ask you to ring!
    Employee
    Hi , I'm sorry to hear your credit limit increase was declined. It may have been for a number of reasons as you can only apply for an increase every 6 months and you need to have held your card for a minimum of 12 months before you're eligible to do so. When you call we'll be able to confirm if this is the case. The other reason is if it was a decline decision and you wish to appeal this which would involve a credit check which would leave a footprint on your credit file.

Thanks for the information you've provided and I hope this helps.
    Thanks for replying Nick.I have had my credit card for a few years now and have never had a problem increasing online before which is why I am confused.I did check the number given with the online message and it IS the normal customer service number so i am even more confused as the lady on the telephone said she was not able to give a reason or authorise an increase, which makes a complete mockery of the online message.It's fine, I don't need an increase urgently, just feel that the online message is confusing when an increase is denied.A simple "we cannot offer you an increase at this time, try again in 6 months" would be fine, instead of wasting a phone call to customer services.I wish companies would just be transparent with their reasons. Thanks again Nick.I do appreciate you replying. Suzyq12