Online banking

Online banking

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
95160members
28677posts

Credit card application - I have a new job. How long until I have enough history to apply for a new card?

Highlighted
Fresh Eyes

Credit card application - I have a new job. How long until I have enough history to apply for a new card?

I have recently started a new job. I want to apply for a new Tesco Bank credit card, but I want to wait until I can be fairly sure I won't be rejected because my employment history is too short. My previous employment was self-employed overseas, and will not count towards any history requirements. Can anyone give me an idea of how long I should wait until applying?

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Credit card application - I have a new job. How long until I have enough history to apply for a new card?

Hi there! Firstly, congratulations on your new job. You don't need to wait any specific length of time, the only thing that we may require during application is your proof of income from the new job. Get back in touch should you have any further queries on this, @Jabbawok.

Highlighted
Here to help

Re: Credit card application - I have a new job. How long until I have enough history to apply for a new card?

Hi,

I am in a somewhat similar situation. I am potentially starting a new job in September, of which I will find out end of July. If I applied for a credit card in August, could I still be accpeted for the card even though I would not have started my job yet, as I assume you require us to state our monthly income?

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hi @kbathia 

Congratulations!!

Is this going to be your first job? Or are you currenly employed?

As you say you 'potentially' start your job in September. Tesco will need proof of your income.

I suggest you get confirmation at the end of July that you have this job and then contact Tesco, as you don't want to apply until August anyway.

To be accepted for a Tesco credit card will depend on a range of factors – most of which come together to make up your credit score. You'll get better rates if you have a history of responsible borrowing.

Hope this helps!!

Warm wishes, @25H

Highlighted
Here to help

i had a part time job at a retail store, but left a few months ago due to the pandemic. i have never borrowed before, so i will be applying for the foundation credit card

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hi @Jabbawok  great news ! 👍

There's no need to wait for any specific length of time, so you can apply right away ! 

The only thing that may be required with the application, is proof of earnings.

Congratulations on your new job ! 

Best Wishes @CSKBrambles 

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hi @kbathia  great news !  👍

You don't need to wait for any specific length of time, history of income is not a prerequisite.

so as soon as you start your new job you can apply ! 

The only thing that may be required during your application is proof of income.

Best wishes, and good luck with your new job !  @CSKBrambles  

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hi @kbathia 

A good choice as the Foundation Credit Card will help you, it's a great card to start building your credit score and is designed for people like yourself.

As I previously stated with your application proof of earnings will be required, so as soon as you know you have got the job, as you say at the end of July you can apply for the credit card.

Warm wishes, @25H 

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hello again @kbathia  !

I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your part time work due to the pandemic.

It's heartbreaking to see so many people like yourself being so badly affected.

Please let me reassure you that there's nothing to be concerned about, we've all been a first time borrower once !

The Foundation Credit Card sounds ideal for you, once you start your job you can apply immediately and get a decision within 10 minutes ! 

All that you need to apply is proof of address, income above £96 per week, and a bank account number and sort code.

Please accept my best wishes and good luck, @CSKBrambles 

Highlighted
Here to help

Thank you for the help.

So If i am starting in september, i can still apply for the credit card in july? i ask this because if i start in july, i technically would not have recieved my first oaycheck. is this still ok when i provide proof of earnings for my job?