Credit Card Balance Transfer from A Credit Card of My Spouse

I included the balance transfer detail during the application process. At the time, it did not say anything that the card had to be in my own name. But now, I have just known from browsing my online account. Will it be rejected? And how long will it take?

FYI, I have not yet received my card and my application was approved on Friday last week.
  • 6 Replies

• Verified Answer

Verified Answer
    Thanks for quick response

I am disappointed but anyhow, what done was done and I applied for a card with Tesco instead with other providers.

That is not my feeling but fact that Tesco is the ONLY bank in the UK having the restriction in place. Could you please urgently include information about the restriction in your PRE-application process as well as your online advertisement campaign? It will be very helpful. I will also make a post in MSE to let anyone aware of. Nice that now this will soon be in Google searches for reference.
    I recalled that Tesco online application did not ask for cardholder's name also. It only asked for the card number and the amount I wish to transfer.
    Employee
    Hi

I'm sorry that the online application was not clear enough when you processed the Balance Transfer.

Unfortunately you are correct in that we cannot complete a Balance Transfer for a Credit Card in someone else's name.

As for your card, this should be on its way to you. The welcome pack takes 7 - 10 business days to arrive and a new card takes 5 - 7 days.

If you have any further questions specific to your new Credit Card account, please call our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 and they will be able to help. They are open 24/7.

Also your credit card can be serviced online at www.TescoBank.com. Initially please register for online banking then after registering use the log in option.

For assistance with online banking please call our Online Helpdesk on 0345 300 3511.

Stephen - Customer Care
    Thanks

So what will happen now?

I have checked my account online and there is no available balance for me to transfer. Where did the money go to? If the balance transfer do not go through, how long will I have to wait until I can do the transfer?

My spouse and I share the same credit account and each of us has a card in our own name. Will it work if I transfer from the card in my own name from the account we are sharing? It's a bit of hassle and inconvenient since Tesco is the only bank that has that restriction in place.
    Hi

I have called the number you gave and the Tesco CS lady advised me/us to wait until the card arrived. It has been more than a week ie 5 business day already.

Wish it would be a straight forwards process and it was clear on the online application as well as the media/online ads that Tesco has the restriction in place.

Can you reply here as well so other customers can easily search about it.
    Employee
    Thank you for calling, 

You will not see a balance online, as Balance Transfers will not be actioned until the card is activated.

Credit Cards cannot be in joint names with any bank, only one Primary account holder (the customer who is liable for the debt) and then they can request an Additional Card Holder to be added. It's a common misunderstanding with Credit Cards as card holders can use the available Credit at the same time.

Before you proceed with the Balance Transfer request again, I suggest you find out who owns the debt with the other provider you are looking to move to Tesco Bank. If this is you, then the balance transfer will go through after the card is activated (providing the details on the application are correct). If this belongs to your husband, the Balance Transfer will not be able to be processed.

I'm sorry that you feel we are the only bank to put this restriction in place, unfortunately I cannot comment on any other bank's policy or process.

Did you explain the situation to the advisor on the phone?

Stephen - Customer Care