Cash Transaction charges

Hi,I am being charged a cash transaction fee and interest each month but I have not taken cash from my card I only use it to make goods purchases, so what service are you deeming to be a cash advance? I have used NowTV and Readly which are services but nothing else. I have asked this question several times to your customer service email address but I never get a reply. I cannot use the telephone so I am stuck with this as a contact medium
  • 8 Replies

Your Community Expert
    Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about this. We don't have a customer service email address I'm afraid, could you confirm the email address you're using please?

When you make a cash transaction, we charge a fee of 3.99% and interest at your standard cash transaction rate, this is from the date of the transaction until the date this cash balance is paid. You can see the fee underneath the cash transaction on your statement.

We consider the following types of payments to be cash transactions: gambling transactions, wire/ international money transfers, repaying borrowing, purchasing non-Sterling currency outside of Tesco, payments to prepaid or virtual cards, purchasing gift cards, investments, share trading and spread betting. Have you made any of those types of payments?

If so, you will see interest charged over two statements. The first statement will show the cash transaction fee and the interest from the date of the transaction until the statement came out. The second statement will show interest accounting for the period between the first statement coming out and the balance being paid in full. After this there’d be no more interest applied to this specific transaction – Ainsley
    No, I do not gamble, not even on the National Lottery. I do not make money transfers using my credit card, I use my bank to do that. I do not have a virtual card what ever that is, I would not use a credit card to repay a debt I have never traded in shares and I have not purchase non sterling currency in over ten years.
    I have the charges but there is no associated transaction, nothing to indicate what caused the charge - its as if somebody thought about making one of the above transactions and you charged them for the thought.
    In the last 4 years I have had 3 replacements because of suspected fraud. Now I use Paypal to reduce the number of places that this cards details are stored but I never use Paypal as anything other than a purchase agent.
    This is my 'online' card so it doesn't get used for anything other than online purchases
    Your Community Expert
    Best thing to do is give us a call so that we can help find this transaction for you. You can reach us on 0345 300 4278 (24/7) - Alex
    I'm sorry but I have difficulty using a telephone because of my hearing so this it why I have come to this forum. It seems that they only other choice you give me is to write a letter and post it to you in the hope that it will arrive.
    Your Community Expert
    I'm afraid as we are limited to what we can discuss over social media, we are unable to resolve this query for you here.

If you're not able to speak with us and have access to a smartphone, you may wish to try the Next Generation Text service (NGT). You can find more information on this here: https://www.ngts.org.uk. Once you’ve installed and launched NGT, click the icon on the top left, enter your mobile number and click ‘Link’. With the app still open, dial 0800500888 from your phone’s dialling screen and this will link the NGT app to your phone number. Please note, when you dial the number there will be a series of high frequency sounds. When NGT confirms your mobile number is linked, you can hang up. When you have NGT set up, dial 18001 (DEPARTMENT NO) from your phone’s dialling screen. There will be another series of high frequency sounds. Going back to the NGT app and clicking “Join” will connect you to a Relay Assistant. The noise will stop and you’ll be able to reply to them on the app. They'll speak to us on your behalf, repeating your messages to one of my colleagues who will do all they can to help.

If you prefer to write to us, please send your letter to Tesco Bank, PO Box 27028, Glasgow, G2 9FT - Trinh

I used my Tesco credit card to 'purchase' £401 euros from Debenhams. I went out of my way to get the best rate, but what a waste of time. Tesco charged me £16 cash transaction fee plus £7 interest. A total lack of clarity, probably buried somewhere in the small print, and as I haven't been charged this on any credit card before relatively new I would think. A nice little earner Tesco! I will be discontinuing my credit card shortly and will not be puchasing any of Tesco's other services i.e. insurance etc. What a let down.
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , sorry to hear that. When you make a cash transaction, we charge a fee of 3.99% and interest at your standard cash transaction rate, this is from the date of the transaction until the date this cash balance is paid. You can see the fee underneath the cash transaction on your statement. We consider the following types of payments to be cash transactions: gambling transactions, wire/ international money transfers, repaying borrowing, purchasing non-Sterling currency outside of Tesco, payments to prepaid or virtual cards, purchasing gift cards, investments, share trading and spread betting.

If you've made any of those types of payments, you will see interest charged over two statements. The first statement will show the cash transaction fee and the interest from the date of the transaction until the statement came out. The second statement will show interest accounting for the period between the first statement coming out and the balance being paid in full. After this there’d be no more interest applied to this specific transaction. We notified customers of these changes in a Notice of Variation we sent out in April 2018 prior to the changes then coming into place. If you're able to send over a private message containing your full name, DOB and postcode then I'll be able to look into this further for you - Kelly
    This has been explained to me over the 'phone this afternoon. I would never withdraw cash on a credit card but used the card to purchase 'Euros'. I feel there is a distinct lack of clarity on this matter and when researching the internet I find others have been 'stung' in the same manner. Also, reading an article in The Telegraph where others voiced their concern, I realise I am not alone.In the past I have bought insurance and other services from you. I will not in the future.