Card declined

My wife and I have account with same card details. I just had my card declined at petrol station, contactless and chip and pin. Both attempts declined.She just paid for food with chip and pin no problems, any reason why my card failed?
  • 5 Replies

• Verified Answer

Community superstar
    Verified Answer
    Hi
    I'm really sorry to hear that, it can be so frustrating!!!!
    Please send Tesco Bank a 'Private Message', they will check it out for you, provide an explanation and satisfactory resolution.

If you click on this link it will take you to a page 'About Tesco Bank'.
    In the top right of the page click onto 'Send a Message', a new page opens up 'Create New Message'.
    Complete it and send your message securely.
    Please remember to include your full name, date of birth and post code along with details of the problem you incurred.
    Hope this helps.
    Warm wishes,
    Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm really sorry to hear about that! Can you please send us over a private message to Tesco-Bank? I'll then be able to take a closer look.
    Thanks for both the replies.Finally managed to speak to Tesco bank by phone, took a long time waiting but it seems I have been using contactless too often and needed to use chip and pin to verify myself again .Next time I use the card I will use chip and pin and that should sort the problem.Apparently although there is no official limit, the system will require chip and pin randomly to prevent fraud.Would have been nice to have been told this via my mobile at the time instead of worrying if my account had been hacked.
    Community superstar
    Hi
    I'm really pleased you've managed to get this sorted.
    I was only aware that when I get a new card I need to use chip and PIN first to get the card activated before being able to use contactless!!
    Have to agree with you being forewarned is forearmed.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Take care, warm wishes,
    Good evening, Despite it being European legislation we also have the SCA over here in the UK and I found the following: Customers using contactless payments with their debit or credit card will now be required to enter their PIN on every fifth payment under new fraud prevention measures. The new European legislation called ‘Strong Customer Authentication’ (SCA) came into force on 14 September and means every one in five contactless payments will be blocked.What’s more, when a series of payments adds up to more than €100, even if it’s not your fifth contactless payment, the card will also be blocked.