Did you mean: 
95078members
28634posts

CSV format

Highlighted
Here to help

CSV format

Hi 

Does anyone know the format of the new CSV file. it seems to be a 16 bit little endian character set. I ask this as I have a program which normalises the CSV downloads from various banks before importing as a QIF file. 

The £ sign is still FFFD which I can not find in any character set.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Safe hands

Re: CSV format

Hi @Johnny_Mo 

I'm sorry but i can't help you with the format of the new CSV file.

However I am aware that it's quite tricky importing files from a bank, because there's no standard to the way that they are formatted !

I believe the most reliable way to get your CSV in the right format is to open it in a spreadsheet editor. It's not something that i have ever completed myself.

I have found a link which may offer a pathway to a solution for you.

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/importqifreleasenotes.html

Hope this helps, @CSKBrambles 

Highlighted
Safe hands

Hi @Johnny_Mo 

I'm really sorry to hear the difficulties you'e experiencing.

This is not something I have first hand experience at.

Hopefully someone will reply to your message and be able to offer you assistance.

Warm wishes, @25H 

Highlighted
Your Community Expert

Hi @Johnny_Mo, I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with this. We would advise getting in touch with the makers of the program to see if they're able to resolve this on their end - Thomas

Highlighted
Here to help

Hi Thomas,

I am the writer of the program as there does not seem to be a software package which normalises CSV files from different banks. I have resolved it, by streaming the file and removing null bytes.  It just seem a very odd character system to choose for no obvious reason. 

Highlighted
Here to help

Hi @CSKBrambles 

Thanks for your concern, as you are aware there is no standard way of importing CSV files which is why I wrote my own. I wonder how other use this data. 

Highlighted
Safe hands

Good question @Johnny_Mo  

I don't know how others use this data. the most popular route seems to be importing 'formatted data' to Microsoft excel or Google sheets.

Good luck with it all ! @CSKBrambles 

Highlighted
Here to help

The old format file is still available where it always was so rather than clicking download from the 2nd screen click More - Manage account  - ( old format screen) View Transactions 

Highlighted
Safe hands

Happy Days ! good investigation work.

Thanks for sharing @Johnny_Mo 

Regards, @CSKBrambles