COVID-19 and section 75 for failure to perform contract

Just looking
    I have 3 UK holidays breaks and theme park season passes booked via Tesco Credit Card, when issuing a complaint to all of them in order to obtain a refund, rather than to wait to see how things pan out, the response from all of them has been along the lines of either: A) We will be deferring your break to an alternate date (and you may have to pay more or less), however is nothing suitable can be found then a full refund will be offered. or B) Please bare with us whilst we work out the details and we shall ensure that your break/pass shall still be excellent value for money. What is best practice to ensure the protection of my funds, should I wait to see what is offered by the firms or insist on a full refund, take it through the complaints process and then if needed make a section 75 claim?
  • 11 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    Hi, sorry to hear about this. You can find information about the steps to take here:

https://community.tescobank.com/t5/D...edtransactions

Once you follow the link you'll be able to submit an online form and one of my colleagues in the Disputes team will review your claim. Please be aware that the team are very busy at the moment so it may take longer than usual for them to get back in touch. We appreciate your patience at this busy time. Hope this helps – Thomas
    Hi In January we paid for a hotel stay in Barcelona (27/4/20 - 1/5/20) and Jet2 flights on 27/4 and 1/5. Both booked seperately. Jet2 have advised they are cancelling the flights and refunding monies BUT the hotel is saying that the Spanish Government have only closed hotels until 12/4 (so far) and will NOT be refunding monies. They have offered to rebook the rooms...which we don't want to do at this point in time due to the uncertainty of lockdowns etc. Can I claim my hotel booking money back through my Tesco Credit Card?
    Former Your Community Expert
    Hi , I'm so sorry to hear about your holiday not going ahead! As the hotel are offering an alternative I'm afraid we aren't able to dispute the charge for you. I'm very sorry about this and I appreciate it will be frustrating as we won't have any idea when we can all get back on our holidays so you can take up the offer of a new date. The best thing to do is speak with the hotel if you can or continue speaking to Jet2 to see if they can offer something more suitable
    Just looking
    My understanding is that the alternative has to be 'reasonable' so that should be taken into consideration when carrying out the full complaints process and considerations to making a s.75 claim.
    Former Your Community Expert
    If you aren't able to come to an agreement with either Jet2 or the hotel on something you feel is reasonable you can find information about the steps to take here: https://community.tescobank.com/t5/D...edtransactions

Once you follow the link you'll be able to submit an online form and one of my colleagues in the Disputes team will review your claim. Please be aware that the team are very busy at the moment so it may take longer than usual for them to get back in touch. We appreciate your patience at this busy time. Hope this helps
    We are having the same problems. We paid for part of a holiday on a Tesco bank credit card and now the holiday company have cancelled the holiday and are refusing to give us a full refund which we have asked for. We have submitted a claim with Tesco but are aware that it's taking in the region of 5 weeks before Tesco get the claims and i'm pretty sure from then on we will have to wait a further 45 days for the holiday company to dispute it and if not then we get our money. We know of other banks i.e. Barclays, Lloyds, Bank of Scotland etc that have literally placed the money back into the account whilst the person has been on the phone. If these banks can do this then why not Tesco?
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @Alisdair, I'm sorry about this. I can't comment on other banks processes. However, due to the unprecedented number of claims we've received, no update is available. As soon as your claim has been processed, we'll be in touch to let you know - Keigan
    Just wondering did you manage to secure a refund on your hotel paid for?Thanks Lucy
    On the look out
    Tesco have submitted a chargeback against the company and have credited my credit card. Hopefully the company won't appeal the decision but even they do I will go through the small claims court.