Ambiguous Introductory Rate wording

New Credit Card, Balance Transfer offer etc...T&C's said under the heading "Introductory Rates (all fixed)"....
    "Purchases for 1 months [sic] from account opening. Monthly Rate 0.00%, Annual Rate 0.00%" I think it is valid to assume from the above that all purchases made in the first month will attract a Zero Percent interest rate.In fact, it actually means the zero interest rate only lasts 1 monthHowever when the firtst balance statement received says Purchases: Zero % Interest and does not state an Expiry Date, it would seem to confirm it that my original assumption was true....? Anyone clarify this very poor wording ? Thanks
  • 6 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    Hi , from the date your credit card account was opened, you will have 0% interest on the first month for purchases. If your purchases aren’t paid in full by the end of the first month, you will incur interest charges on the remaining purchase balance until paid. Hope this clears this up for you :)
    On the look out
    wrote:
    Hi , from the date your credit card account was opened, you will have 0% interest on the first month for purchases. If your purchases aren’t paid in full by the end of the first month, you will incur interest charges on the remaining purchase balance until paid. Hope this clears this up for you :) I was offered 12 months 0% purchases, but cannot remember the date when the account was opened. My first monthly statement was produced on 09 August 2018 (it says 'Summary 09 August 2018 in bold writing). So, my account would have been opened on 09 July 2018, therefore my 0% introductory purchases offer would finish on 09 July 2019. Correct? Still, the above is no good for someone with 1 month 0% purchases offer, becuase by the time the first statement is produced the offer is finished, and they'll have to pay the purchases balance immediately to prevent interest accumulating. It would have been good if you sent an email three weeks before. Can see that I did receive an email 3 weeks before the balance transfer offer ended.
    Employee
    For security purposes we're unable to confirm when the account was open, however, if you call our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 (24/7) they'll be able to confirm this for you.
    On the look out
    wrote:
    For security purposes we're unable to confirm when the account was open, however, if you call our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 (24/7) they'll be able to confirm this for you. Defensive. Don't worry I've managed to work it out.
    Employee
    No problem. If you need anything else, please let us know.
    On the look out
    wrote:
    No problem. If you need anything else, please let us know. That's fine.Hope you learnt something!