pay at pump debit card

Recently i opened a tesco bank current and was accepted with an £100 overdraft and also wanted to know what type of debit card on my new account, to my shock and disbelief the card type on my account was the "online" version which does not work at pay@pump. My understanding is someone who applies for a current account with the offer of an overdraft is "credit worthy" an offline card would come as standard. Most banks issue "offline" and "online" debit types depending on financial circumstances that is normal practice, but would usually only issue the latter on basic accounts which are not permited to become overdrawn under any circumstances. The concern I have is that Tesco are issueing this type of Debit Card to customers on a frequent basis, even to customers who have been provided an overdraft and when customers like myself request the "offline" debit card facility we are being told that its not possible to change it. I was told today by an adviser at tesco bank that customers with "online debit cards" are allowed overdrafts of upto £100, but those types are cards are designed to stop the account holder going into an overdraft of any amount in the first instance. I was also asked to justify myself as to why I couldnt go to the cashier, not that i should have to but because A) Most petrol stations are unattended after 11pm and B) some forecorts are pay@pump only. My conclusion is while it is appropriate to issue debit cards with restrictions to customers where there is clear evidence is financial mismanagement, customers with average and above credit histories who are clearly of low risk are being offered this type of card commonplace which should not be the case. I am also concerned that your advisers are telling me that the "online debit card" is issued on Tesco Bank "Basic Accounts", even though that having an overdraft on a basic account should not be possible, as holders of basic account are usually not eligeble to have any form of lending facilities at all.
  • 1 Reply

Employee
    Thanks for getting in touch . I’d like to look into this further for you, so I can do this, can you please message us privately with your full name, DOB and postcode?