Direct debit and messages of missed payments

Hello, When I called to reset my online banking account, I was offered to set-up a direct debit. I was informed that I would have to make a manual payment on the 29th of October and maybe on the 14th of November. I made my payment for the 29th of October (on the 27th) which showed up on my debit card transactions and USED TO show on my Tesco Banking app, and disappeared recently. When I recieve a text asking to call Tesco I have done so, and was informed I had missed the 26th of October payment. When I called tesco they told me that the payment missing was for the statement which was due to be baid on the 29th of September, which I DID pay. However when I stated I had made the payment and I had proof of it, the call got cut off. Same thing happenned the second time I called. I decided to let it pass as I recieved amessage saying my direct debit was set up, with upcoming payment on the 14th. I also paid the "missed" payment (another 25pounds). It was all very confusing.Following this, I recieve a letter saying that if I miss a payment again, I will loose all my promotional rates. On the 11th of November, I recieve another text, which really confused me as I had made a payment on the 29th of October, which I was asked to pay manually, and the second date I was asked to pay manually for was the 14th of November, but direct debit had already been set up. My sincere apologies if this is a mistake on my side but as you can appreciate, this is all very confusing. I have never missed a payment on my longer standing debit card and failure to pay (if existing) is not due to neglect but miscommunication on your side, and it is not easy to contact Tesco directly. I have now recieved a letter saying my promotional rates where cancelled. I will probably end up sorting this out on my side and cancel my Tesco Credit card account. I should not have been offeredd to set up a direct debit if it was going to create this whole mess and I can safely say I haven't been informed properly. I honestly believe non of this is fair, I had the means and would have gladly made all my payments on time, why was I not informed of statements being closed earlier or upcoming payments you were expecting as my other credit card provider does? However, what bothers me the most is the damage this will have on my credit score, which is currently fairly good. On top of it all, I had to change my email address on my profile as I was not recieving my confirmation email and your forum is the only written form which seemed accessible to communicate with you, having found no email address. I trust you understand the frustration you may be bringing to customers like me.
  • 3 Replies

Employee
    I'm really sorry to read about what's happened @waterlily118. It sounds like there may have been an issue with the payments that you were making, but if you were making them in good faith, then we will review what's happened and look to make everything right, including any impact to your credit file and interest free period.

I'm afraid we're limited in what we can do via The Community, but if you call our Credit Card team and explain your situation, they will be able to help. The number to call is 0345 300 4278, available 24/7.
    Not too worry. thank you for your help but I have been through enough hassle to waste more time over the phone.
    I have now paid off my credit card. I would like to cancel it. Is there a specific number or is it the general customer service one?
    Kind regards,
    Laila
    Employee
    I'm sorry to hear that you want to close your account . Call us on 0345 300 4278, available 24/7, and a member of our team can help.