Bank "Faster payments" transfer to old Tescos Clubcard Mastercard account in error

Just looking
    I transferred £250 from my Nationwide Flexaccount to my Tesco's Clubcard Mastercard today (Saturday 28/11/2020). I then checked my Tesco's account a few hours later and the money had not arrived. In 2017 Tesco's changed the sort code and account number of the accounts they receive incoming customer payments from. Then in 2019 Tesco accidentally started putting the old payment details on the backs of their statements again in error, instead of the new ones. My payment was sent in error from Nationwide to the old Tesco account details, but with the correct Mastercard number in the "payment reference" field.
    So instead of being sent to account number 31310006, sort code 40-64-15, it was instead sent to account number 31316044, sort code 40-02-50. Have I lost the money for ever, or will the payment be delayed, and if so by how long? Some banks automatically updated their users stored bank transfer details automatically for them back in 2017, but Nationwide did not.
  • 7 Replies

Community superstar
    Hi @logan5
    I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please send Tesco bank a private message so they can take a closer look and advise accordingly.
    Click on this link Tesco-Bank then scroll down, on the left hand side click 'Send Private Message'.
    Complete it and send your message securely and privately.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode along with details.
    You will receive a reply to your private message.
    Have a lovely weekend and stay safe
    , Caz @25H
    Above and beyond
    Hi @logan5

I would advise against sharing confidential information on this platform, it must be sent privately.

Please send Tesco bank a private message to check this out and provide a resolution.

Click on this link Tesco-Bank then scroll down, on the left hand side click 'Send Private Message'.
    Complete it and send your message securely and privately.
    Please include your full name, date of birth and postcode along with details.

You will receive a reply to your private message with confirmation.

Regards, Chris, @CSKBrambles
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @logan5, I'm really sorry to hear about that. Can you please double-check your Nationwide account to see if the funds have been reversed automatically? If not, can you please send over a private message? I'll then be able to take a closer look and help get this sorted for you. You won't have lost the money so please don't worry about that. Thanks @25H and @CSKBrambles for stepping in to help out too!
    Just looking
    I am blocked from sending you a private message to KellyT, but I have sent a private message to the generic Tescos user.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi @logan5, I'm really sorry to hear about that. Can you please double-check your Nationwide account to see if the funds have been reversed automatically? If not, can you please send over a private message? I'll then be able to take a closer look and help get this sorted for you. You won't have lost the money so please don't worry about that. Thanks @25H and @CSKBrambles for stepping in to help out too!

I have just checked again, and the funds have not been reversed back to Nationwide, it just shows the out-going transaction. I tried private messaging you at KellyT but it said that you were blocked from receiving private messages, but I have sent more information on a private message to "Tesco-Bank" who seems to be an admin. Hopefully I am not sharing more confidential information with the wrong people.
    Community superstar
    Hi @logan5
    If you've followed my instructions and sent a private message to Tesco Bank then KellyT will pick it up and respond back to you privately.
    All messages are sent to Tesco Bank and not to individual Community Experts that is why you could not send the message to KellyT.
    Hope this helps!!
    Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Your Community Expert
    That's the correct account you've messaged @logan5, thanks for sending that over! I've now replied privately with some more information :)
    Community superstar
    Hi @logan5
    I see KellyT has replied to your private message 😁
    Caz @25H